Opened in 1889, O’Connor Hospital was the first hospital in Santa Clara County. The original O’Connor Sanitarium, as it was called, was built by Judge Myles P. O’Connor and his wife Amanda on 15 acres of country property at the corners of Race and West San Carlos streets.
Known for being benefactors of many charitable organizations, the O’Connors’ original intent was to build a sanitarium for the sick, home for the elderly, an asylum for orphans and a school for children, but community needs determined that a hospital was the priority. At the suggestion of Archbishop Riordan of San Francisco, the O’Connors asked the Daughters of Charity to operate the hospital. On May 1, 1889, four Daughters of Charity members moved into the almost-ready facility, which opened that same month. In 1953, O’Connor Hospital moved to its present site on Forest Avenue. In 2002, O’Connor became part of the Daughters of Charity Health System.
In July 2015, the Daughters of Charity Health System Board of Directors selected BlueMountain Capital Management LLC, a private investment firm, to recapitalize its operations and transition leadership of the hospital system to the new Verity Health System. In December 2015, California Attorney General Kamala Harris announced approval of the transaction.
Verity Health System, a non-profit, non-religious health care system, seeks to build on the rich legacy left by the Daughters of Charity Health System.
Enjoy our video about the history of O’Connor Hospital.