San Jose, CA – You were stung by a bee. Ouch! Then, you begin to have an anaphylactic reaction to the bite, experiencing symptoms such as difficulty breathing, rapid pulse or swelling of your face or throat. What do you do?
Dr. John Kellogg will lead a discussion on what to do if you have an allergic reaction when stung by a bee, wasp or hornet – insects with venomous stings – whose venom can elicit fatal and near-fatal allergic reactions. His presentation will cover the diagnosis and treatment for these allergies and reveal one of the most effective cures in modern medicine.
About 2 million Americans have allergies to the venom of stinging insects, with many of them at risk for life-threatening allergic reactions. Those who experience an allergic reaction to an insect sting have a 60% chance of a similar or worse reaction if they are stung again.
Dr. Kellogg will explain the difference between the three types of reactions: a normal sting reaction, a localized reaction and an allergic reaction, which requires immediate medical attention. He will also explain treatment options for all three types of reactions.
As a staff physician at O’ Connor Hospital, Dr. John Kellogg is board certified in allergy and immunology and internal medicine. He received his medical degree from Tulane University School of Medicine in 1993. He specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of allergies and asthma in children and adults. Dr. Kellogg presented O’Connor Hospital’s March 7 presentation on “What is an Allergy,” which was part of a three-part Living Well allergy series.
O’Connor Hospital’s Living Well Community Lecture Series are free of charge, but please call (800) 220-0182 for reservations or register online. Each class provides ample time for a question-and-answer period at the end of the session. Insect Sting Allergies will take place on Thursday, June 6, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in the Medical Office Building (MOB) Auditorium at O’Connor Hospital, 2101 Forest Avenue, San Jose. Refreshments will be served.